Thursday, December 9, 2010

APPT Main Event Day 1

Yesterday i had plans to chill out for the morning then play a session online from about 12:30pm. I was gonna stay away from online for the week because of all the events but i've been feeling good and i thought that a light session of about 4 tourneys online wouldn't hurt.

I went off to bondi beach in the morning with Jackie and we layed on the sand talking/perving on all the ridiculously fake things we were seeing along that beach. It was no doubt that my body shape/figure was definitely out of place, but that didn't stop me from aggressively ripping off my shirt and David Hasselhoffing my way down that sand into those waves.. only to be carried away in a rip and be told by a bondi lifeguard over the mega phone to move into the flags. So keep an eye on bondi rescue this week, you may just see a hero shot or two of my rippled figure.

After cruisin' home and showering off all that sexy sand inbetween my toes i turned on the computer like you'd turn on your girlfriend and i registered for a few tourneys. That lasted about 2 hrs and i ran like ass so i was done and lost. I wasn't sure what to do for the rest of the day now.

My original plan for the main event was to play tomorrow (day 1c) and register late in about the 3rd level when blinds are 100/200 with a 25 ante and i'll get a starting stack of 30k. I think that by losing maybe 1% equity of missing all those early hands when 95% i'll most likely be folding i gain a further 5% equity in how much more fresh i am and less fatigued. These main events are stressful and the long days are grueling. I will do anything i can to reduce those hours and prevent fatigued brain snaps.

So because i was lost for things to do for the day i decided to play the main event and register late as planned anyway. I drove in and made my way up to the buy-in desk and only to have the credit card machine spew on me and i had no cash on me. Sigh, i guess i'll play tomorrow. But wait! I know people, i have connections. I did a few quick laps of the poker pit and somehow managed to rack up the $6300 buy in for the main event and after a further 30 mins of stuffing around i took my seat on the table right in the middle of Pokerstars Team Pro Celina Lin and Full Tilt Red Pro Simon Watt. I knew a few other players at the table but the majority were unknowns.

I cruised through that day just fine, didn't get involved in too many massive hands. I built my stack up to about 55k in the first hour or so and then had a fry run for about 3 hrs and got down to about 23k and all of a sudden i found myself with 29 BBs and 15 mins to go of day 1. Then i got involved in a hand which i was slightly over exhausted to to be involved in.

With my table image I knew that i would get raised lightly in any pot i would like to open. So when i picked up AJs UTG i don't really like these spots but i admit i was a little steamy from not being able to get the ball rolling and we are nearing the end of the day. I open to 1800 at the level of 400/800 and i get flat called once and then a guy on the button squeezed to 7200 who had a stack of over 100k. My thinking here is that i noticed that the player didn't really look around at stack sizes or anything and therefore i sensed that as weakness because most players with a strong hand want to know exactly the right amount to bet to get max value from their hand. with my stack only being another 14k into a 30k pot for him to call if i shoved i thought to myself that he is definitely committed to call and in the chance that he is light then i have a great oppurtunity to double here if i have him crushed. Worst case scenario is that i am a 70/30 underdog and i am happy to take that chance judging by how my day had been going. So i proceeded to shove all-in and the first called folded which then left the squeezer a decision to call off the 14k into a 30k pot. He thought about the decision for a good 2-3 minutes and the longer he thought the more i was happy about my decision and that i had him crushed. So the longer he takes the more i want him to call. Eventually he called and tabled AQ off-suit, which i was upset and confused to see. I understand that most of the time i have him crushed in that spot but with the price he was getting on the pot i really think its a no brainer that he should call pretty much within the next 10 seconds to me going all-in.

I stay in my chair befuddled at the unintentional slow-roll and watched anxiously as the dealer produced a 3 7 J flop. I had gotten lucky and picked up one of the only three cards in the deck i could get. Aaaand i was doin' the inside happy dance again but also had my heart pumping because i still needed to dodge a queen from coming in the next two cards to come. The dealer did well in brick laying the next two cards and it was a lock that i would double to roughly 46k like it was ment to be!

The tournament director, not long after, announced that there were only 3 more hands left for the day and i was relieved. I needed to end the day and come back on day 2 with a refreshed mind, different run of cards and ready to play my A game that i apparently left at home for the day.

That was a wrap! I bagged my chips and i winded down with an easy dinner with friends and family. Gonna take it easy in the day off untill day 2!

No comments:

Post a Comment