Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Aussie Millions and My Brothers Wedding!!

Wow.. It's been a while since i have made a post and i apologize for my busyness and laziness as life and poker has grabbed me by the balls and dragged me down into a hole of darkness!!.. Ok so i admit that is a little extreme to be opening in a post but i have just been real snowed under with alot of things going on poker and family related.

To start with i took a road trip to Melbourne for the first time driving and played the first 4 events of the Aussie Millions and pretty much couldn't get the ball rolling in any of them so i spent most my time preparing for the events and then failing.. and preparing and failing etc. But the time i had outside of the game was spent going out to lunch, dinner with lots of friends because every poker player in the country was there so i knew alot of people. We also played a few games of tennis and made an attempt at going to the Aus Open to watch tennis but got there and realised that all courtside seats were sold out. So we walked around and just enjoyed the side show things in and around the event site.

I knew that i was going to miss playing the biggest main event in Aus that is the Aussie Millions $10k buy-in and more of the later side events and so because of this i had decided that i was going to make a real baller effort to play the $100k event. And so for about 4 days i was racing around and on the phone ringing and texting people to try and rack up the $100k buy in. After lots of work and last minute decisions from people i eventually got the $100k sorted and registered for the event 30 mins after it had already started and took my random pick at sitting at one of the 5 tables.. I picked the TV table.. BOOM! That's what i wanted. I had never played on a TV table where you have a pocket cam and stuff. Pretty exciting stuff.

I was pretty nervous as you could imagine but the first thing i did when i sat down was make calm friendly conversation to help relax me. I started talking with Tony G, Tom Dwan and a few others at the table. That definitely helped keep me relaxed, even though anything i said may go on tv! I couldn't really get the ball rolling for the first 2 hrs or so untill i finally had pocket 9s on the button with a little over 30 BBs and everone folded to me. I min raised to 4k on the button (60k effective stack) and it got to Gus Hansen in the big blind who then bumped it up to 11k. There's really no such thing as folding a pocket pair as strong as 9s here so i go ahead and stick the remaining of my stack in the middle and, while looking quite uncomfortable, he called off my shove with AQ offsuit. Before the cards were dealt i quickly accepted any outcome in my head to be prepare my emotions for whatever happened but before i knew it the flop killed any hope with a Q 3 6 flop crushing my pair. The turn and river bricked and i was on my way to the rail finishing dissapointly early in one of the biggest buy in tournaments in the world.

So that pretty much wrapped up my time in Melb with disappointing finishes everywhere and emotion exhaustion to the max. Although on the bright side i have learnt more and more valuable lessons whether it be about poker or life. That's all you can really do when things aren't going your way. Step back and re-assess everything you do whether it be negative or positive. So it was back on the road and time to head home to Sydney for my brothers wedding!

The week leading up to the wedding was full of stress and lots of work for the whole family in helping out with everything. The ceremony was held at Centennial Park which is just across the road from where we live so that was handy for the family to all stay at our house which means we had an apartment full of about 8 people for a few days! While i always say "the more the merrier" in this situation it makes it hard to relax. But that's alright because i always love to have family around, after all it's why we live right? For family and friends? That's how i see it anyway.

The whole day from the ceremony to the reception was a massive success with the weather being a perfect temperature and the rain holding off. My brother allocated certain jobs for everyone in the family to do to make the wedding a success and less stressful for everyone. Me and Jay (my other brother) were asked to be the MCs for the night and it was alot of fun and great for the both of us. It being our first time as MCs we were a little unsure of everything but by the end of the night we were super comfortable behind the mic and everyone seemed to enjoy our jokes and hospitality.. well my jokes at least!!

I can't express my love for family and family gatherings enough. The excitement and memories we all create together are just amazing and fulfilling. OK i better stop right there before you flood your keyboard with tears of joy.

At the moment i am mucking around with a website called chipmeup.com which allows players to buy and sell shares of each other in events both online and live. Head to it and look me up under Brendooor.. you can buy shares from as little as $3.20!! The only tourney i have up at the moment is Adelaide ANZPT but as the FTOPS come around on Full Tilt i will most likely be putting some of the events from there up too so you guys can muck around and have a bit of a gamble!

Well i will try and keep up to date on here but for now i am off to Radelaide!!

Take Care





No comments:

Post a Comment